While we’re wrapping up the Winter Break of 2015-16, I thought I would push the mounds of crayons and dried up Play-Doh off my desk (yay, having kids around 24/7 for two weeks!) to uncover my keyboard and republish this list I wrote back in 2011. It was one I was asked to write for Redbook, before it was cool to write lists about “things never to say to [INSERT INSULTED GROUP OF MOMS HERE]”, one that sparked a “spirited” discussion in the comments section.
So here it is, the now-infamous list that was inspired by feedback from my mom and other fabulous stay-at-home moms…
Top 10 Things Never to Say to a Stay-at-Home Mom
- When the kids are older, do you think you’ll get a real job?
- How June Cleaver of you!
- Oh, so you don’t work?
- Since you have extra time on your hands, could you whip up a few dozen brownies for the bake sale tomorrow?
- All day with your kids? I can’t even imagine.
- I’m jealous. I wish my husband were rich so I wouldn’t have to work either.
- So what do you do all day, anyway?
- Don’t worry; I’m sure you’re not the only one who’s ever wasted money on a college degree.
- That explains why your son is so clingy!
- Weird. I assumed your house would be super clean.
This piece also caught the attention of Kathie Lee, who attempted to read my list on the TODAY show in the midst of her five-Merlot breakfast:
Yup. She totally botched one of the best lines. LAY OFF THE SAUCE, KATHIE LEE!